Wednesday, January 25

Suki!

I stumbled upon 'Getting there' (a semi-autobiographical novel) many years ago. I knew about manjula Padmanabhan from her Target magazine days but eversince that went underground (to be replaced by the hideous Teens Today), there was no news of this celebrated Artist/illustrator/ writer (except for the unfortunate death of her child in a road accident).
So I bought Getting there and gobbled it up quickly. Thereafter, I heard about her comic strip that appeared in the Pioneer newspaper in the mid 80s and as luck would have it, I came across a whole, (that time) new compilation of her comic strip called Double Talk, at the little bookstore at
Peopletree.

I've read and reread Suki more than a hundred times since. And always go back to it when I need a laugh (not like the laugh Dylan and the Beatles often went for). Double talk is a comic strip with a difference. The protagonist is Suki, a semi-autobiographical character made by Padmanabhan. Suki is, well, funny and well, different (I'm obviously not great at descriptions).

Here are two pages from the book, that are by far, my favourite.
Padmanabhan got a lot of flak from the readers of the Pioneers because they didn't understand
this humour. See if this goes down well with you.



7 comments:

Sagar Kolte said...

hehehehe funny :)

coyote said...

These are completely off the wall. Which probably explains why I like them so much. Us semi-mythological coyotes have extremely bent senses of humour....

David Scrimshaw said...

Someone once told me "a recent study found that 90% of the population masturbate in the shower and the other 10% sing, do you know what song they sing?"

And I thought "they can't all be singing the Sloop John B" but I guessed it anyway.

David Scrimshaw said...

Because at the time I always sang Sloop John B and it didn't seem likely that all the other shower singers were singing that too.

If I'd been asked the breakfast question, I'd have been surprised that the other virgins ate pizza.

Anonymous said...

Cute funnies...although the second one would have NAFTA in an uproar here in the US...

:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I meant NAAFA...oops.

heretic said...

So where is she? Heard about a book, but couldnt get my hands on it. So wish for the old Target days; Moochwala et al. Thanks for the short drive down memory lane. :-)